Thursday, March 16, 2023

An Unsuccessful Visit To The Huson Code Enforcement Office

Last Thursday I walked into the Hudson Code Enforcement Office, located in the 800 block of Warren Street, to ask about the 3 A-frame signs spread around town advertising for the new brewery at 7th and State.  The way I read the section of the Code regarding portable signs, it seemed like the signs were a violation, so I just wanted to check with the office and file a complaint if there was a violation.



Inside the building, the head of the CEO, Craig Haigh, slid open the small access window to his office after I knocked on it.  Here is the full "conversation" we had, recorded on my phone:

Craig:  Can I help you?

Bill:  Yeah, hi.  I'm trying to find out if something I see on the sidewalk is a code violation.

C:  What is it you see?

B:  I see 3 things, known as A-frame signs, that are advertising for the brewery on 7th and State.

C:  Okay.

B:  3 of them are located far from the brewery.  

C:  Okay

B:  How many signs is the brewery allowed to have around town, do you know? 

C:  I don't think there is any restrictions on how many portable signs anyone can have.  There is a code requiring signs where they can be located.


B:  I read the code, Craig, and it says they are allowed one sign per 100 feet... (interrupted)

C:  Then what are you asking me for if you read it?

B:  I guess I could interpret it one way and somebody else could interpret it another way, so I guess I'm wondering.... (interrupted)

C:  What do you want? (angrily)

B:  I'm trying to find out if it's a code violation.

C:  I'm not answering your question. 

B:  Because?

C:  Because I don't want to, and I don't have to.  You've already read the code, so you've already got a decision, okay?


B:  I'm asking you if it's a code violation.  It looks like it is to me... (interrupted)

C:  I'm not answering your question .... I am not answering your question.

B:  You're not answering my question? 

C:  Nope.  Sorry. 

B:  You're not gonna tell me if something is a code violation?

C:  Do you have any other questions to ask me? 

B:  Yeah.  How many signs are they allowed to have around?

C:  I don't know, read it in the code. 

Craig Haigh then closed the window and walked away. 


I'm thinking that if the Code Enforcement Office were located in the Firehouse, along with all the other departments presently located there, Craig Haigh would not have been so rude, belligerent and unhelpful as he was to me.  As it is, the Code Office shares building space with a foot doctor, and no one from City Hall could hear or experience what I did.





No comments:

Post a Comment

One Dollar Bail? Why Even F'n Bother?

Does trespassing count as "time served"? Before Michael Madison was led out of Hudson City Court on Thursday to return to the coun...