Thursday, June 13, 2024

Oh, That Sweet, Sweet Aroma Is Back!


As I ascended the stairs at Promenade Park yesterday afternoon, my nose caught the unmistakable scent I had first smelled there a few years ago in June.  There was no doubt about it, and I didn't have to see them -- the basswood trees were in bloom.  Lucky us!

If you've never smelled a basswood tree in bloom, now is your chance to take in the amazing aroma while the three trees in the park are in bloom attracting bees and other pollinators.  The basswood (aka, American Linden) is also a pretty tree and provides lots of shade.  Sit under it for a while taking some deep breaths and you just might reach nirvana -- or pass out.  (I suppose some might find the scent cloyingly sweet, but I do not.) 

If you are familiar with the intoxicating scent of a basswood, I'm assuming you are on your way to Promenade right now if you haven't been there already.  The tree on the north end of the park seems to be more aromatic than the two on the south end, but all 3 trees offer blooms directly to any nose 5 feet off the ground.  If you have an acute olfactory sense, as I do, you too might detect the blooms as you head up the stairs, especially with a breeze coming off the river.  

Think of it as free, natural aromatherapy -- those trees are a blessing.  But their sweet aroma won't last much longer.  Better get it now while you can!

Soon after this article went to press, I was biking past Hudson Hall and got a faint scent of basswood blooms.  Of course, I had to stop. There they were, unbeknownst to me, two basswood sidewalk trees in plain sight and smelling wonderful.

There is a basswood in front of DMV as well!  Who knew identifying a tree species was so simple?

There are also at least two in front of the Youth Center on 3rd Street.  Now I am smelling and seeing them everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Show You Care About Hudson, According to The City's Largest Property Owner and Their Friends At Hudson City Hall

Ever since a private sanitation company worker was killed in October 2022 while servicing the dumpster at Galvan's apartment complex in ...