Friday, April 28, 2023

The Time Has Come For NO DRONES ALLOWED Signs In Our Public Parks

A few months ago, while walking along N. 5th Street near Warren, a young male approached me who appeared to be lost.  He asked me a question that had never been posed to me and that I hope never to be asked again.  He asked, "Have you seen a small black drone around here anywhere?"  First, I thought that he was kidding, then realized he was not.  I told him that I hadn't seen anything of the sort.  He continued: "I was flying it nearby and it must have crashed around here somewhere."  He then walked up Long Alley, continuing his search for his lost drone.


Late this morning in Promenade Park, on a beautiful spring day, I came across a similarly discomforting scene.  A group of 7 males who appeared to be part of a drone club were preparing a large drone, with four foot-long propellers, for launching -- all gathered, with drone on a launch pad, at the most common area of the park that patrons come to view the scenery.

When I told them that what they were doing was totally inappropriate, the elder statesman of the group told me that it was none of my business.  I pointed to the boat launch parking lot below and told him that there was plenty of space there to launch their drone, where no one would be bothered or decapitated by their drone.  He told me, "We aren't bothering anyone, nobody is going to get hurt" and that I should "stay clear of the area."

I hoped to see and take pictures of the launch, but there was too long a delay for me.  They were certainly trying to make it happen.  It appeared that none of the individuals were from Hudson -- I saw some evidence that they were from Catskill. 

Last summer, I was enjoying the view and quiet time at the river's edge in the Riverfront Park by the willow tree when a bride, groom and entourage approached.  A photographer asked me if I would move to make way for their photo shoot.  I obliged, and almost immediately a drone was launched from the grass, no doubt to take some fancy airborne pictures of the two newlyweds.  I expressed my opinion to the drone operator of how inappropriate I thought launching and flying a drone in a public park was.  He shrugged his shoulders and continued to guide his whirring drone. 

There are no signs of any kind at the entrance to Promenade, or in the park itself, prohibiting the use of anything.  When the city finally gets around to putting a sign or two up listing the rules for Promenade Park (and the Riverfront Park), along with the usual prohibitions, it should include the following:  NO DRONES ALLOWED ($250 FINE); NO BICYCLE RIDING ANYWHERE IN PARK ($250 fine);  PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS AND THE PARK ITSELF.

No one should need to be reminded that flying a drone in Promenade Park is unacceptable.  But that is the state of our modern world, where civility and common sense are on the wane. 







.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Dollar Bail? Why Even F'n Bother?

Does trespassing count as "time served"? Before Michael Madison was led out of Hudson City Court on Thursday to return to the coun...