Given the Hudson Police Department's sordid past, isn't it long past time for the public to be involved in, and made aware of, misconduct claims and investigations at HPD?
At this past March's meeting of the so-called SAFETY Committee, I asked Police Chief Mishanda Franklin, "are you comfortable with there being no public review board investigating claims of misconduct at HPD?" Her first attempt at a response was this: "I don't believe that's my decision to make. I mean, if the city or the mayor..." (Can you imagine?)
I apologized for interrupting her. "I'm asking you if you are comfortable with it, Chief." The Police Chief of the City of Hudson remained silent, looking around the room like a lost puppy, possibly afraid that a committee member would ask her to answer my question directly. I asked her again, "Are you comfortable with it?" Chief Franklin remained silent. Claire Cousin, obviously satisfied with no answer at all, then said, "She's responded," and that was the end of my attempt to get a reasonable and straight answer out of our highest paid city employee. In other words, our police chief preferred to not answer my question, and the 4 members of the committee were fine with the dismissive silence. What the hell do they care about such issues as police misconduct, police brutality, integrity, safety, and public knowledge of what actually goes on at the Hudson Police Department?
Common councils and mayors past and present are perfectly fine with the Hudson Police Department policing its own bad cops (or top brass) and never allowing the public to know the results of any internal investigations that do take place (or even how those investigations are conducted). I wonder why Syracuse doesn't feel the same way. I wonder why Albany doesn't, either. I wonder why Troy and Ithaca have independent public Police Review Boards but Hudson does not. Shouldn't a PRB be something to aspire to?
Maybe some year we'll have a mayor, common council member or two, and a police chief who are smart and strong enough to make sure that there is an independent police review board made up of local residents that is respected by HPD and not just considered an annoyance. You know, like Syracuse, Troy and Ithaca have, to name just a few here in New York. I suggest you don't hold your breath for such a thing here in Hudson. Even if it were suggested, HPD would likely fight it tooth and nail.
Nothing good ever comes from the police policing themselves. Nothing. Ever! This is especially true of police departments with a history of malfeasance and corruption. Do you think that was the reason the City of Syracuse created a PRB 33 years ago and it's still around today?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.